The EWSD Board met at Founders Memorial School on Monday, October 17 at 6:30 p.m. Draft minutes are available here. Highlights of the meeting included:
- Dan French and Brian O’Regan (via skype) provided an update on the superintendent search forums that took place earlier this month. Three superintendent search forums were conducted to obtain feedback on the desired characteristics of the new superintendent for the Essex Westford Educational Community Unified Union School District. One forum was organized for administrators, another for staff and faculty, and a third for community members. All three forums were held jointly for CCSU and ETSD participants, and each forum was structured around responding to the same four questions:
- What personal and professional qualities and attributes do you want the next superintendent to possess?
- What is the most important focus of work for the new superintendent during the first 6-12 months on the job?
- What are the positive aspects of your schools, communities and the supervisory union?
- What will you do to contribute to the success of the new superintendent
Themes identified will guide the search process. These are:
Unification – The new superintendent needs to be able to bring together organizations, people, and systems as a result of the district merger.
Vision – The new superintendent should have the ability to assess the current organization, engage stakeholders, and to then facilitate the articulation of a common vision for the district. Communication/engagement – The new superintendent should have the capacity for communicating and partnering with diverse groups of stakeholders in order to build the requisite relationships and trust to sustain the work of the district.
Experience – The new superintendent should be a successful and experienced educational leader who puts the needs of students at the center of his/her decision making.
Educational Leadership Expertise –The new superintendent should be a skilled instructional leader, and an organizational leader who values distributed leadership.
Organizational Capacity – The organization has significant capacity to continue to be a successful school district. The new superintendent should be able to leverage and harness this capacity to support future development of the district.
Support – All stakeholders expressed an interest in ensuring the new superintendent is successful. The new superintendent can expect a supportive organizational environment and culture upon being hired.
2. The board approved the first reading of VSBA Recommended policy: Code #E20: Community Use of School Facilities
3. CFO Deac Decarreau reviewed the FY18 Budget Planning Assumptions with the Board and the basic components of the budget development process. Currently there are no policy documents that can help guide the Board’s role in this process. Deac is working across the districts to build a unified budget. The two systems are entirely different and central office is working extremely hard to create something new. The board will get more details at the meeting on November 1st and will meet every week in January during the budget process.
4. The Board would like to thank all of the administrators and principals at CCSU and ETSD for the incredible dedication of time and energy they are spending to make unification a reality. They have all gone above and beyond in every way and we really appreciate it. Thank you.
The next meeting will be on November 1st at 6:30 p.m.